top of page
스크린샷 2022-11-10 오후 12.53.33.png

Social Services

MinKwon Center offers a comprehensive range of free social and legal services related to immigration status, housing status, health insurance, and public benefits. We provide all of our services in Korean and Chinese free of charge, as we prioritize limited English-proficient and low-income immigrants and seniors who often face difficulty applying for public resources and legal representation.

Public Benefits


As a Single Stop USA site, MinKwon performs screenings for community members’ eligibility for SNAP (Food Stamps) and HEAP (Heat and Energy Assistance Program). We also offer an annual IRS VITA-certified free income tax filing program every tax season.

Health Insurance Enrollment


MinKwon Center has certified Navigators that can help eligible individuals under 65 enroll into health insurance offered through the New York State Health Marketplace. The types of health insurance offered through the Marketplace include: Medicaid, Child Health Plus, Essential Plan, and subsidized Qualified Health Plans (Premium Tax Credit (PTC) and Cost-Sharing Reduction (CSR)). We also assist with health insurance options for undocumented individuals aged 65 and older. We provide services in Korean and Mandarin, in addition to English.

Housing Services and Representation


MinKwon assists low-income tenants with housing grievances (i.e. rent overcharge, security deposit disputes, undone or insufficient repairs, heat and water issues, excessive noise, landlord harassment, and other housing rights violations) in filing complaints and calls for mediation to their landlords. For tenants facing eviction or whose grievances remain unresolved, our housing attorney can provide free legal representation at housing court. We also assist eligible tenants in applying for Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) and Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE), and we lead community workshops on tenant rights, housing discrimination, and gentrification.

Immigration Legal Services and Representation


MinKwon provides a robust array of immigration services and benefits for community members. We begin with an in-person and/or over-the-phone consultation and benefits and risks screening to better understand your situation, and provide no-cost support from our staff immigration attorneys and legal services staff. Below is a non-exhaustive list of forms that MinKwon assists in preparing and types of representation we offer:



  • Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

  • Form N-565, Application for Replacement of Naturalization Certificate (for lost/mutilated certification, or USCIS error)

  • Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship (for Derivative US Citizens)



  • Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card



  • Form I-821D, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals



  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (for U.S. citizens petitioning parents, spouse, child or stepchild) -OR- U.S. Citizen/LPR petitioning for Family in overseas (Consular processing)

  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document

  • Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility (for Adjustment of Status applicant with inadmissibility finding [i.e. fraud/misrepresentation])

  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA (for I-130 Petitioner or Joint-sponsor for Adjustment of Status case; upon request of National Visa Center for consular processing)



  • Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal

  • Form I-914, Application for T Nonimmigrant Status

  • Form I-918 and I-918 Supplement B, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Visa

  • Form I-360, Adjustment of Status for VAWA, SIJS self-petitioners

  • Form I-751, Joint Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (for VAWA-related cases [applicant alone] and joint filing cases [petitioner and applicant])

  • Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant (for certain applicants and/or self-petitioners for U and T visas)



  • Form I-601A, Application for Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver (for applicants with unlawful presence [Entry Without Inspection, EWI])

  • Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal (for applicant with prior deportation order/removal [Consular Processing])



  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (for Adjustment of Status applicant, DACA applicant, Asylum Seeker, Refugee, and Withholding of Removal grantee)

  • Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver (for all cases where low-income applicants can have their fees removed: Naturalization, Green card renewal, VAWA, SIJS, and Naturalization Certificate)

  • Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney of Accredited Representative (for any case where legal representation by attorney or BIA-accredited representation required)

  • Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition (for any case where applicant wants to receive notification through email or text message)

  • Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions

  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information (for Deferred Action only [Not applicable to DACA])

  • Form G-639, Freedom of Information Act/ Privacy Act Request to Dept. of Homeland Security's USCIS or CBP; U.S. Dept. of State, U.S. Dept. of Justice's Executive Office for Immigration Review


  • Adjustment of Status in deportation proceedings

  • Post Conviction Relief Advocacy and Referrals

  • Case management and advocacy with USCIS Ombudsman Service, Congressional Office, District Attorney’s Office, and Local Law

  • Enforcement Authority

  • Contacting USCIS Customer services and field office for case assistance

  • Assistance with Request for Evidences, Notice of Continuance, and Notice of Intent to Deny

bottom of page